Giving Feedback - Setting The Scene
Before you have that feedback conversation you need to do some preparation. The following tips maybe of assistance.
- Think about what you are going to say and how you are going to say it.
- Put yourself in the employees shoes – how would you like to hear the feedback
- Think about your communication style and the employee you are speaking to. For some employees you might need to set the context before giving the feedback
- Be confident; present the facts,give example/s if you can.
- Don’t be judgemental or patronising
- Consider the employee’s point of view/perspective
- What do you want to hear from the employee at the end of the conversation to ensure that the feedback has been received and understood.